52. Chained

52. Chained

Rotten Tomatoes: 73%   IMDB: 6.2

Plot: Vincent D'Onofrio stars as Bob, a serial rapist/killer that snatches a woman and her young son. After disposing of the mother he decides to keep the boy, whom he names Rabbit, chained to a wall as a slave/pet/student. Their relationship shifts between an odd father/son type to madman/pet, until the man decides that Rabbit should be educated on certain things. Jennifer Lynch, daughter of David Lynch, directed.



My Thoughts: Vincent D'Onofrio returns to film strong, this is a layered performance that will stay in my head for years to come. This movie is disturbing, it affected me emotionally on a level that I haven't experienced in film since 2007's Inside. I felt for these characters. Spoilers ahead for those who have seen it, I recommend seeing this film though it is fantastic.


SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!


While I didn't see the twist ending coming, I felt it was unneccesary and removed the randomness of the crime from Rabbit. The idea that his father payed this guy, his brother, to kidnap his wife and child and murder them pushed the end of this film to a ridiculus place that it didn't need to go. While the end is unsatisfactory I still enjoy this movie and will return to it when I am able to steel the nerve to go again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purple People Eater