63. The Purge

63. The Purge

Rotten Tomatoes: 38%   IMDB: 5.5

Plot: For one night a year there is no law, all crimes are legal. A well to do family protect a homeless man from a group of killers and become targets themselves.



My Thoughts: The writers and directors wanted to make a statement, about rich vs poor, white vs black, or maybe America's thirst for blood. I don't know. Not knowing indicates that I'm either stupid, always possible, or that they didn't pull it off. Everything here as been done before and slightly better, the polite leader of the killers, Funny Games. No laws, Escape from New York. Home invasion, Funny Games (again) Strangers, Home Alone. Part of the problem is that I never feel danger for the family, sure I'm positive one will die but I am comfortable in the knowledge that they will see the end of the purge. The most interesting part of the movie is the family slipping into these violent roles as they struggle morally with turning him over or protecting him but again there is no tension because we know what the choice will be, this is a movie with no surprises and in horror thats not a good thing. I say just watch Funny Games for the thrills and Soylent Green for the commentary and give this one a pass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purple People Eater