4. Lords of Salem


Plot: Directed by Rob Zombie and starring Sherri Moon Zombie the movie takes place in modern day Salem where Sherri Moon Zombie plays Heidi a local DJ at a rock station. She receives an album by a band called "The Lords" that when played on air has a strange trance like effect on the women in town. Things get weird as "The Lords" plan a show in Salem.


My thoughts: This is a strange one. Of all of Rob Zombie's films this is the one I am most on the fence about. I liked House of 1000 corpses, I loved Devil's Rejects, The Haunted World of El Superbeasto is easily one of the funniest things I've seen in awhile and then there are his awful Halloween remakes which I despise so where does this one fall? I really don't know. I thought it was well made, this is a beautifully shot film. The violence is tame and the colors are brilliant. Sherri Moon Zombie gives a complex and believable performance as Heidi. There are definite nods to Dario Argento's Mother Trilogy and more than a few nods at Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. That being said not a whole lot happens and once the creatures are revealed they are laughable, one appears to be a three foot mutated baby and the other a giant wiggly sweet potato. This deserves a viewing and I will revisit it to see if my opinion changes.

Comments

  1. I agree on the Dario Argento moments. Honestly, Zombie did a good job of capturing the late 70's/early 80's feel. I'm just not sure how I feel about the movie. It's dark, and not really scary, but the satanic imagery was well done and unsettling. All said and done, I'm a Zombie fan (apart from the Halloweens) so I'm leaning on the positive side of the fence, but multiple viewings may be required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James that is my thoughts as well. I just don't know on this one.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Purple People Eater