Spring Breakers

Spring Breakers stars Vanessa Hudgens, Selena Gomez, Ashley Benson, Rachel Korine and James Franco. It is written and directed by Harmony Korine.

Lets get the plot out of the way first. Four girls from a small town college are going to Florida on Spring Break, they party and end up in jail during a drug bust at a party and are bailed out by local rapper Alien. Alien takes them down a path of drug slinging and robbing tourist while dueling fellow drug dealer and ex best friend Archie.


Harmony Korine is the writer of the controversial 90's film Kids (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113540/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) and that film is a good lead in to this one, I feel like this is a generation defining type of film. James Franco is the main reason to watch this movie! I have seen it a couple of times now and cannot get it out of my head. I was already a fan of him but this performance is like nothing I have ever seen before. The girls do a great job as well though the build up of Gomez and Hodgens doing a naughty grown up film is a little over hyped but they were believable. I think that is what this film has going for it more than anything else it is believable, it felt like watching an uncensored season of MTV's Real World. Lines get repeated in AR sometimes by different characters with different inflections and the dialog takes on complete different meanings. I can not recommend this movie more, this is in my top ten films this year. 

There is a downside to this film though, a glaring awful performance that I wish I could erase. Guicci Mane plays Archie the rival drug dealer and gives what may well be the worst performance I have ever had the displeasure of witnessing. His delivery is terrible and stilted, I'm talking worse than Hayden Christensen Star Wars Prequels bad. Guicci Mane is a good rapper, one of his songs is featured prominently in the movie, and subsequently on my iPod, but as an actor he makes a good block of wood.

Overall I loved this movie, this is a must own for me. I gave it an 8 originally but Guicci Mane's terribleness brought me down to 7. 


Do you agree or think I'm crazy leave a comment below and let me know. I'll be back later with another review for an assigned movie. 

Keep it Reel.
Adam M.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purple People Eater