Sacrament (2013)

Sacrament 

Rotten Tomatoes; 62% IMDB: 6.2

Plot: A VICE reporter and his cameraman join a friend looking for his sister who has joined a cult called Eden Parish led by Father. Directed by Ti West and starring Joe Swanberg, Amy Seimetz, AJ Bowen and Gene Jones as Father.



My Thoughts: Ever since House of the Devil I have been waiting for Ti West to make a movie I would love, I watched Sacrament hoping it would be the one, sadly I am still waiting but I feel he gets closer every time. From the start of the film you know something awful is in the pipeline and you are not sure what it will be, as the film moves along West builds the tension and dread expertly as the crew interviews the cult members and eventually sit down to interview the unassuming but charismatic Father. The biggest compliment I have for this film, and I have a few I'll get into later but the biggest one I have is for actor Gene Jones as Father. Jones is known as a character actor in small roles, the one I knew him from was the station clerk in No Country For Old Men that unknowingly gambles his life on a coin toss. This is the most important role in the film, if the character of Father does not ring true the film falls apart and in other hands it could of played as an over the top scene chewing mess, Jones plays it low key and balances an aww shucks mister we just want to live and let live along side a creepy threatening vibe. This is an award worthy performance and worth the view alone. Ti West handles the subject well holding his cards close to his vest on the threats the characters face but when the dominoes do begin to fall he pulls no punches. I highly recommend this film and continue to wait for Ti West's follow up that may just be the one I love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purple People Eater